The origins of the Cigarrera Wine cellar go back to 1758 when the distinguished merchant, Don Joseph Colóm Darbó, took on a lease of some urban buildings in “Callejón del Truco”, the property of the order of the Mercedarios Descalzos, and started a wine business.
The actual bodega "La Cigarrera" was acquired in 1891 by Don Manuel Hidalgo Colóm, a successor to Don Darbó. He continued to expand the wine business, covering a boom period as a result of launching "La Cigarrera" on to the Manzanilla market.
In 1990 the business was inherited by Doña María del Pilar García de Velasco Pérez. She handed over the running of the business to her sons, the brothers Hidalgo García de Velasco; a new generation taking on the business, whose surnames have a strong tradition in the history of the city’s wine trade.